The options are grouped: (a) ID cards, (b) residence documents and (c) process, to reflect the specific measures needed to address the problems of each group. They cannot be compared with each other.
Option 0: maintaining the status quo;
Options ID: format and security of ID cards
- ID SOFT): non-legislative measures related to ID cards (such as awareness-raising and training)
- ID 1): ID SOFT, plus setting minimum common requirements for ID format and security
- ID 2): ID SOFT, plus ID 1), with a common format for ID cards, including mandatory fingerprints
- ID3): ID SOFT with the possibility of issuing an EU ID card in addition to national ID cards
Options RES: format and security of residence documents
- RES SOFT): non-legislative measures related to residence documents
- RES 1): RES SOFT plus the harmonisation of a limited amount of residence document data
- RES 2): RES SOFT plus RES 1) with a common format for residence documents of non-EU family members
- RES 3): RES SOFT plus RES 1) with a common format for all residence documents,
Options PROCESS: process for issuing documents and sharing information between Member States
- PROCESS SOFT): promote more and better options for requesting and receiving documents
- PROCESS 1): PROCESS SOFT and the ability to issue ID cards through consular networks
The preferred options are ID 1), RES 2) and PROCESS SOFT).