This document is an excerpt from the EUR-Lex website
European Year of People with Disabilities 2003
The main purpose of the Year was to drive forward the political agenda for full integration of people with disabilities as set out in 2001 in the Communication from the Commission entitled "Towards a barrier-free Europe for people with disabilities".
Council Decision 2001/903/EC of 3 December 2001 on the European Year of People with Disabilities 2003.
Objectives and measures envisaged
1. The objectives of this European Year of People with Disabilities (EYPD) were as follows:
2. The measures designed to meet the objectives mainly concern:
3. These different measures are described in detail in the annex to the proposal.
Funding, budget and organisation
4. The European Year of People with Disabilities has a budget of 12 million euro for 2002 (preparatory measures) and 2003.
As set out in the annex, Community-wide actions are subsidised up to 80% via the budget allocated to the event, while national measures are subsidised up to 50%. The Commission grants overall subsidies to each Member State, which redistributes them to the national coordination bodies responsible for supporting the different measures at local, regional and national level. Specific provisions govern the application and selection procedures and their co-financing.
5. The Commission is responsible for managing the actions provided for in the framework of this European Year with the assistance of an advisory committee made up of representatives of the Member States. Besides, it organises exchanges of views with the disability community and the NGOs that represent them concerning the implementation of the different events.
6. The Commission should present to the Parliament, by 31 December at the latest, an evaluation report to determine the genuine impact of this European Year and the lessons to be learnt for the future.
Entry into force
Deadline for transposition in the Member States
L 335 of 19.02.01
Communication from the Commission of 13 October 2005 on the implementation, results and overall assessment of the European Year of People with Disabilities 2003 [COM(2005) 486 - Not published in the Official Journal]
Key actions at EU level
Key actions at national level
Key results of the EYPD campaign
Council Resolution of 6 May 2003 on accessibility of cultural infrastructure and cultural activities for people with disabilities [Official Journal C 134 of 07.06.2003].
The Council invites the Member States and the Commission, within their respective competences, to take new concrete action to improve access for the disabled to cultural infrastructure, cultural activities and the media.
Council Resolution of 5 May 2003 on equal opportunities for pupils and students with disabilities in education and training [Official Journal C 134 of 07.06.2003].
The Council invites the Member States and the Commission, within their respective competences, to take new concrete action so that people with disabilities have better access to teaching and training in a lifelong learning perspective.
Council Resolution of 6 February 2003 on "eAccessibility" -- Improving the access of people with disabilities to the knowledge-based society [Official Journal C 39 of 18.02.2003].
The Council calls on Member States and the Commission to tap the information society's potential for people with disabilities and, in particular, tackle the removal of technical, legal and other barriers to their effective participation in the knowledge-based society.
Last updated: 31.01.2006