Guidance on upcoming new data protection rules across the EU
The European Commission has published guidance to facilitate the smooth application of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), the new EU-wide data protection instrument. The regulation will become directly applicable on 25 May 2018, 2 years after its adoption and entry into force, replacing Directive 95/46/EC.
The Commission has also launched a new online tool dedicated to help citizens, businesses, in particular small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs), and other organisations to comply and benefit from the new data protection rules.
List of documents
- Communication from the Commission to the European Parliament and the Council Stronger protection, new opportunities - Commission guidance on the direct application of the General Data Protection Regulation as of 25 May 2018 COM(2018)43 final
- Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC
- Directive 95/46/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 24 October 1995 on the protection of individuals with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data
Summaries of EU Legislation
- Protection of personal data (from 2018)
- Protecting personal data when being used by police and criminal justice authorities (from 2018)