Brexit: EU-UK relationship
The United Kingdom withdrew from the European Union on 31 January 2020.
On 23 June 2016, the United Kingdom held a referendum on their membership of the EU. The UK voted to leave the EU by 52% to 48%.
On 29 March 2017 the UK notified the European Council of its intention to leave the EU, thus formally triggering Article 50 of the Treaty on European Union.
On 30 January 2020, the EU ratified the Withdrawal agreement.
On 31 January 2020 at midnight (CET), when the withdrawal agreement entered into force, the United Kingdom left the European Union.
The entry into force of the withdrawal agreement marked the end of the period under Article 50 TEU and the start of a transition period due to last until 31 December 2020.
Below, you will find a
- Search link for Brexit related-documents on EUR-Lex
- Key documents related to Brexit
- Summaries of EU legislation related to Brexit
- EU documents about the UK and its position in the EU
- Links to other EU web pages about Brexit
Summaries of EU legislation
Documents related to the UK membership to the EU
- New Settlement for the United Kingdom within the European Union
- Consolidated version of the Treaty on European Union
- Article 48 (amending the treaties)
- Article 50 (withdrawal from the Union)
- Protocol No 21 on the position of the United Kingdom and Ireland in respect of the area of freedom, security and justice
- Protocol No 30 on the application of the Charter of fundamental rights of the European union to Poland and the United Kingdom
- Protocol No 36 on transitional provisions (police cooperation and judicial cooperation in criminal matters)
- Consolidated version of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union
2007: Treaty of Lisbon
2003: Accession Treaty
- Act concerning the conditions of accession of the Czech Republic, the Republic of Estonia, the Republic of Cyprus, the Republic of Latvia, the Republic of Lithuania, the Republic of Hungary, the Republic of Malta, the Republic of Poland, the Republic of Slovenia and the Slovak Republic and the adjustments to the Treaties on which the European Union is founded - Protocol No 3 on the sovereign base areas of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland in Cyprus
2001: Treaty of Nice
1997: Treaty of Amsterdam
- Protocol integrating the Schengen acquis into the framework of the European Union (Schengen agreement on border controls)
1992: Treaty of Maastricht
- Protocol (No 25) on certain provisions relating to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (1992)
1985: UK rebate
- European Commission - Brexit negotiations
- 8th Parliamentary term - Brexit
- Brexit overview and timeline – Council of the European Union
- Meetings of the Joint and Specialized Committees
- Taskforce on Article 50 negotiations with the United Kingdom (European Commission)
- Documents related to the work of the Taskforce (European Commission)
- Getting ready for the end of the transition period