WRITTEN QUESTION No. 1276/96 by Gary TITLEY to the Commission. Labelling of ingredients in cosmetics
Official Journal C 297 , 08/10/1996 P. 0114
|Bilingual display: DA DE EL EN ES FR IT NL PT|
WRITTEN QUESTION E-1276/96 by Gary Titley (PSE) to the Commission (24 May 1996)
Subject: Labelling of ingredients in cosmetics
The Commission will be aware that Directive 93/35/EEC ((OJ L 151, 23.6.1993, p. 32 )) made it a requirement for all ingredients in cosmetics to be listed on the packaging. Would the Commission now indicate what progress Member States have made in implementing this legislation?
Answer given by Mrs Bonino on behalf of the Commission (4 July 1996)
The state of transposal in the Member States of Council Directive 93/35/EEC of 14 June 1993 amending for the sixth time Directive 76/768/EEC on the approximation of the legislation of the Member States relating to cosmetic products is currently as follows:
1. Belgium: No communication
2. Denmark: Transposed into domestic law by 'Bekendtgørelse om Kosmetiske Produkter' of 9 July 1993.
3. Germany: No communication
4. Greece: No communication
5. Spain: No communication
6. France: No communication
7. Ireland: No communication
8. Italy: No communication
9. Luxembourg: Transposed into domestic law by Reglement grand-ducal of 30 July 1994. Pursuant to Articles 5 and 6 of this regulation, problems concerning the inventory of ingredients used in cosmetic products will be resolved at national level via ministerial orders to be taken in application of the Community measures referred to in points 4, 7 and 10 of Article 1 of Directive 93/35/EEC.
10. Netherlands: Transposed into domestic law by the 'Warenwetbesluit kosmetische produkten' of 11 October 1995.
11. Austria: No communication
12. Portugal: No communication
13. Finland: No communication
14. Sweden: Transposed into domestic law by 'Läkemedelsverkets föreskrifter om kontroll ar kosmetiska och hygieniska produkter', adopted on 7 November 1995.
15. United Kingdom: No communication
It should be noted that the inventory of ingredients employed in cosmetic products and the common nomenclature were adopted by Commission Decision 96/335/EEC of 8 May 1996 ((OJ L 132, 1.6.1996. ))