Proposal for a REGULATION OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL repealing Council Regulation (EC) No 1342/2007 on administering certain restrictions on imports of certain steel products from the Russian Federation
/* COM/2011/0715 final - 2011/0315 (COD) */
|Bilingual display: BG CS DA DE EL EN ES ET FI FR GA HU IT LT LV MT NL PL PT RO SK SL SV|
The trade in certain steel products between the European Union and the Russian Federation has been governed by an Agreement, establishing also quotas for imports into the European Union of steel originating in the Russian Federation. As foreseen in Article 10(4) of the Agreement, with the accession of the Russian Federation to the World Trade Organization the Agreement must be terminated and the quotas abolished.
The present proposal therefore foresees the repeal of Council Regulation (EC) No 1342/2007 implementing that Agreement in the European Union which would take effect on the date on which the Russian Federation will become a member of the World Trade Organization.
Proposal for a
REGULATION OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL
repealing Council Regulation (EC) No 1342/2007 on administering certain restrictions on imports of certain steel products from the Russian Federation
THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND THE COUNCIL OF THE EUROPEAN UNION,
Having regard to the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union, and in particular Article 207 thereof,
Having regard to the proposal from the European Commission,
After transmission of the draft legislative act to the national Parliaments,
Acting in accordance with the ordinary legislative procedure,
(1) The Partnership and Cooperation Agreement establishing a partnership between the European Communities and their Member States, of the one part, and the Russian Federation, of the other part, hereinafter referred to as “the PCA”, entered into force on 1 December 1997.
(2) Article 21(1) of the PCA provides that trade in certain steel products shall be governed by Title III of that Agreement, with the exception of Article 15 thereof, and by the provisions of an agreement on quantitative arrangements.
(3) On 26 October 2007, the European Community and the Government of the Russian Federation concluded such an Agreement on trade in certain steel products, hereinafter referred to as “the Agreement”.
(4) On 22 October 2007, the Council adopted Regulation (EC) No 1342/2007 on administering certain restrictions on imports of certain steel products from the Russian Federation in order to implement the Agreement.
(5) The Agreement stipulates that in the event that the Russian Federation accedes to the World Trade Organization before the expiration of the Agreement, the Agreement will be terminated and as a consequence the quantitative limits will be abolished as of the date of accession.
(6) On the date when the Russian Federation becomes a member of the World Trade Organization the Regulation to implement the Agreement will no longer be necessary. Regulation (EC) No 1342/2007 should therefore be repealed with effect from that date,
HAVE ADOPTED THIS REGULATION:
Regulation (EC) No 1342/2007 is hereby repealed.
This Regulation shall enter into force on the day following that of its publication in the Official Journal of the European Union.
It shall take effect on the date on which the Russian Federation accedes to the World Trade Organization.
The Commission shall publish a notice in the Official Journal of the European Union to that effect.
This Regulation shall be binding in its entirety and directly applicable in all Member States.
Done at Brussels,
For the European Parliament For the Council
The President The President
 OJ L 327, 28.11.1997, p. 3.
 OJ L 300, 17.11.2007, p. 52.
 OJ L 300, 17.11.2007, p. 1.