Council Joint Action 2006/413/CFSP of 12 June 2006 amending and extending Joint Action 2005/190/CFSP on the European Union Integrated Rule of Law Mission for Iraq, EUJUST LEX
OJ L 163, 15.6.2006, p. 17–18 (ES, CS, DA, DE, ET, EL, EN, FR, IT, LV, LT, HU, NL, PL, PT, SK, SL, FI, SV)
OJ L 352M , 31.12.2008, p. 446–447 (MT)
Special edition in Bulgarian: Chapter 18 Volume 05 P. 139 - 140
Special edition in Romanian: Chapter 18 Volume 05 P. 139 - 140
CS DA DE EL EN ES ET FI FR HU IT LT LV NL PL PT SK SL SV
|Bilingual display: BG CS DA DE EL EN ES ET FI FR HU IT LT LV NL PL PT RO SK SL SV|
Council Joint Action 2006/413/CFSP
of 12 June 2006
amending and extending Joint Action 2005/190/CFSP on the European Union Integrated Rule of Law Mission for Iraq, EUJUST LEX
THE COUNCIL OF THE EUROPEAN UNION,
Having regard to the Treaty on European Union, and in particular Article 14 and the third subparagraph of Article 25 thereof,
(1) On 7 March 2005, the Council adopted Joint Action 2005/190/CFSP on the European Union Integrated Rule of Law Mission for Iraq, EUJUST LEX . That Joint Action expires on 30 June 2006.
(2) On 18 July 2005, the Council welcomed the launch of EUJUST LEX and the Commission's commitment to begin preparations on complementary work in this field. Noting the needs set out by Iraq, particularly in the rule of law and human rights sectors, the Council invited relevant Council bodies to consider what further follow-up action the EU could take to help Iraq address these needs.
(3) On 7 November 2005, the Council commended the work of EUJUST LEX and noted the Iraqi Transitional Government's request to extend the mission beyond the end of its current mandate and to expand the scope of the training provided. The Council reiterated its support for the Commission's preparations to undertake complementary work in this field.
(4) At its meeting on 15 and 16 December 2005, the European Council reiterated its commitment to supporting Iraq's reconstruction, including through EUJUST LEX.
(5) On 15 May 2006, the Council declared its preparedness to extend the activities of EUJUST LEX beyond its current mandate, in response to Iraqi needs and requests.
(6) On 12 June 2006, following a review of the mission by the Secretary General/High Representative, the Council agreed to extend EUJUST LEX for another 18 months after the expiration of the current mandate, until 31 December 2007. This Joint Action should cover the first phase of this extension until 31 October 2006.
(7) Joint Action 2005/190/CFSP should be amended accordingly,
HAS ADOPTED THIS JOINT ACTION:
Joint Action 2005/190/CFSP is hereby amended as follows:
1. Article 5(3) shall be replaced by the following:
"3. EUJUST LEX shall develop all technical instruments necessary for its execution. The Head of Mission shall elaborate amendments to the OPLAN in accordance with the amended CONOPS, such amendments taking into account a comprehensive risk assessment."
2. Article 11(3) shall be replaced by the following:
"3. Given the particular security situation in Iraq, services in Baghdad shall be provided through the contracts entered into by the United Kingdom with the companies providing and invoicing for these services. The budget of EUJUST LEX shall cover these expenses up to a maximum of EUR 2500000. The United Kingdom shall, in consultation with the Head of Mission, report with adequate information to the Council on these expenses."
3. The second subparagraph of Article 14 shall be replaced by the following:
"It shall expire on 31 October 2006."
4. The Annex shall be deleted.
This Joint Action shall enter into force on the date of its adoption.
This Joint Action shall be published in the Official Journal of the European Union.
Done at Luxembourg, 12 June 2006.
For the Council
 OJ L 62, 9.3.2005, p. 37.