89/542/EEC: Commission Recommendation of 13 September 1989 for the labelling of detergents and cleaning products
OJ L 291, 10.10.1989, p. 55–56 (ES, DA, DE, EL, EN, FR, IT, NL, PT)
DA DE EL EN ES FR IT NL PT
|Bilingual display: DA DE EL EN ES FR IT NL PT|
of 13 September 1989
for the labelling of detergents and cleaning products
THE COMMISSION OF THE EUROPEAN COMMUNITIES,
Having regard to the Treaty establishing the European Economic Community, and in particular Article 155, second indent thereof,
Whereas detergents and cleaning products are already subject to certain Community provisions concerning labelling, in particular Council Directive 73/404/EEC of 22 November 1973 on the approximation of the laws of the Member States relating to detergents (1), as last amended by Directive 86/94/EEC (2), and Council Directive 88/379/EEC of 7 June 1988 on the approximation of the laws, regulations and administrative provisions of the Member States relating to the classification, packaging and labelling of dangerous preparations (3), as last amended by Directive 89/178/EEC (4);
Whereas separate Community requirements apply to cosmetic products, which are not covered by this recommendation;
Whereas the information to consumers could be improved by more detailed labelling of detergents and cleaning products and whereas this labelling should be uniformly applied in the Community;
Whereas this will make it possible for these products to be used with greater discernment, which will have a direct impact on water quality and on the environment in general;
Whereas there are within each Member State national associations representative of the great majority of the undertakings in the detergents and cleaning products industry in that Member State, each of which national association is a member of either AIS (Association Internationale de la Savonnerie et de la Détergence) or FIFE (Fédération Internationale des Associations de Fabricants de Produits d'Entretien);
Whereas AIS and FIFE together represent over 90 % of the detergents and cleaning products industries in the Community;
Whereas following the adoption of Directive 88/379/EEC this recommendation should take effect as soon as possible in order to complete Community provisions in this field,
HEREBY FORMULATES THIS RECOMMENDATION:
For the purposes of this recommendation 'detergents and cleaning products' means products sold both to the general public and to the industrial sector which are intended for washing and cleaning purposes or for use in connection with the washing and cleaning process and which according to experience can end up in the aquatic environment after their use.
1. The packaging of detergents and cleaning products should indicate the content, according to the following percentage ranges:
- less than 5 %,
- 5 but less than 15 %,
- 15 but less than 30 %,
- 30 % and more
of the constituents as defined hereafter where they are added in a concentration above 0,2 %:
- anionic surfactants,
- cationic surfactants,
- amphoteric surfactants,
- non-ionic surfactants,
- oxygen-based bleaching agents,
- chlorine-based bleaching agents,
- nitrilotriacetic acid,
- phenols and halogenated phenols,
- aromatic hydrocarbons,
- aliphatic hydrocarbons,
- halogenated hydrocarbons,
The following classes of compounds if added should be labelled irrespective of their concentration:
- preservatives / disinfectants.
2. For detergents and cleaning agents used only in the industrial sector the abovementioned requirements do not have to be fulfilled if the equivalent information is provided by means of technical data sheets, safety data sheets, or in a similar appropriate manner.
3. Additionally the packaging of detergents or cleaning products sold to the general public intended to be used as laundry detergents should bear the following information:
the recommended quantities and/or dosage instructions expressed in millilitres or grams appropriate to a standard washing machine load, for specified water hardness classes and making provision for one or two cycles washing processes. The content of any measuring cup which is provided shall also be indicated in millilitres or grams.
1. Member States and the European industry associations concerned (AIS and FIFE), in collaboration with the Commission, should ensure the implementation of this recommendation. This implementation should be assured on the one hand by the undertaking to the Commission by AIS and FIFE to ensure compliance with the provisions of this recommendation and on the other hand by the national associations who will inform the authorities of the Member States on the implementation of these provisions.
This information will enable the Member States' authorities to monitor the implementation of these provisions. AIS and FIFE and the national associations will similarly acquaint all identifiable non-members engaged in the industry with the provisions of this recommendation and urge them to respect its requirements.
The Member States should be informed by national associations, and the Commission by AIS and FIFE, of the extent to which the provisions of this recommendation are complied with.
2. Member States should inform the Commission of the measures taken to implement this recommendation.
3. Periodically, and starting not later than one year after this recommendation takes effect, Member States and AIS and FIFE should hold consultations with the Commission on the state of implementation of this recommendation.
This recommendation takes effect on 15 October 1989.
Done at Brussels, 13 September 1989.
For the Commission
(1) OJ No L 347, 17. 12. 1973, p. 51.
(2) OJ No L 80, 25. 3. 1986, p. 51.
(3) OJ No L 187, 16. 7. 1988, p. 14.
(4) OJ No L 64, 8. 3. 1989, p. 18.