Agreement between the European Union and the Federative Republic of Brazil on short-stay visa waiver for holders of diplomatic, service or official passports
OJ L 66, 12.3.2011, p. 2–6 (BG, ES, CS, DA, DE, ET, EL, EN, FR, IT, LV, LT, HU, MT, NL, PL, PT, RO, SK, SL, FI, SV)
Special edition in croatian Chapter 19 Volume 011 P. 174 - 178
|Bilingual display: BG CS DA DE EL EN ES ET FI FR HU IT LT LV MT NL PL PT RO SK SL SV|
between the European Union and the Federative Republic of Brazil on short-stay visa waiver for holders of diplomatic, service or official passports
THE EUROPEAN UNION, hereinafter referred to as "the Union"
THE FEDERATIVE REPUBLIC OF BRAZIL, hereinafter referred to as "Brazil"
hereinafter referred to together as the Contracting Parties;
DESIRING to safeguard the principle of reciprocity and to facilitate travel by ensuring visa free entry and short stay for the citizens of all Member States of the European Union and for the nationals of Brazil who are holders of valid diplomatic, official or service passports;
REITERATING their commitment to ensure reciprocal visa-free travel swiftly, fully respecting the completion of the respective parliamentary and other internal procedures;
WITH A VIEW to further developing friendly relations and continuing to strengthen close ties between the Contracting Parties;
TAKING INTO ACCOUNT the Protocol on the position of the United Kingdom and Ireland and the Protocol integrating the Schengen acquis into the framework of the European Union, annexed to the Treaty on European Union and the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union and confirming that the provisions of this agreement do not apply to the United Kingdom and Ireland,
HAVE AGREED AS FOLLOWS:
Purpose and scope
Citizens of the Union and citizens of Brazil, holders of a valid diplomatic, service or official passport, are allowed to enter, transit through and stay without a visa in the territory of the other Contracting Party for a maximum period of stay of three months during a six months period in accordance with the provisions of this Agreement.
For the purpose of this Agreement:
(a) "Member State" shall mean any Member State of the Union, with the exception of the United Kingdom and Ireland;
(b) "a citizen of the Union" shall mean a national of a Member State as defined in point (a);
(c) "a national of Brazil" shall mean any person who holds the Brazilian nationality;
(d) "Schengen area" shall mean the area without internal borders comprising the territories of the Member States as defined in point (a) applying the Schengen acquis in full;
(e) Schengen acquis shall mean all measures aimed at ensuring the free movement of persons in an area without internal borders, in conjunction with directly related flanking measures with respect to external border controls, asylum and immigration and measures to prevent and combat crime.
Conditions of visa waiver and stay
1. The visa waiver provided by this Agreement shall apply without prejudice to the laws of the Contracting Parties relating to the conditions of entry and short stay. The Member States and Brazil reserve the right to refuse entry into and short stay in their territories if one or more of these conditions are not met.
2. The citizens of the Union benefiting from this Agreement shall comply with the laws and regulations in force in the territory of Brazil during their stay.
3. The nationals of Brazil benefiting from this Agreement shall comply with the laws and regulations in force in the territory of each Member State during their stay.
4. The visa waiver applies regardless of the mode of transport used to cross the borders open to international passenger traffic of the Contracting Parties.
5. Without prejudice to Article 6, visa issues not covered by this Agreement shall be governed by Union law, the national law of the Member States and by the national law of Brazil.
Duration of stay
1. The citizens of the Union holding a valid diplomatic, official or service passport may stay in the territory of Brazil for a maximum period of three months during a six months period following the date of first entry into the territory of the country.
2. The citizens of Brazil holding a valid diplomatic, official or service passport may stay in the Schengen area for a maximum period of three months during a six months period following the date of first entry into the territory of any Member State fully applying the Schengen acquis. This period of three months during a period of six months shall be calculated independently of any stay in a Member State which does not yet apply the Schengen acquis in full.
The citizens of Brazil holding a valid diplomatic, official or service passport may stay for a maximum period of three months during a six months period following the date of first entry in the territory of each of the Member States that do not yet apply the Schengen acquis in full, independently of the period of stay calculated for the Schengen area.
3. This Agreement does not affect the possibility for Brazil and the Member States to extend the period of stay beyond three months in accordance with national law and Union law.
Management of the Agreement
1. The Contracting Parties shall make use of the Committee of Experts (hereinafter referred to as the "Committee") mentioned in the Agreement between the European Union and the Federative Republic of Brazil on the short-stay visa waiver for holders of ordinary passports to settle disputes arising from the interpretation or application of the provisions of this Agreement.
2. The Committee shall be convened, whenever necessary, at the request of one of the Contracting Parties.
Relation between this Agreement and existing bilateral visa waiver agreements between the Member States and Brazil
This Agreement shall take precedence over the provisions of any bilateral agreements or arrangements concluded between individual Member States and Brazil, in so far as their provisions cover issues falling within the scope of this Agreement.
Exchange of specimens of passports
1. If they have not done so already, Brazil and the Member States shall exchange, through diplomatic channels, specimens of their valid diplomatic, official or service passports no later than thirty (30) days after the date of signature of this Agreement.
2. In case of introduction of new diplomatic, official or service passports or modification of the existing ones, the Parties shall convey to each other, through diplomatic channels, specimens of these new or modified passports, accompanied by detailed information on their specifications and applicability, not later than thirty (30) days prior to its application.
1. This Agreement shall be ratified or approved by the Contracting Parties in accordance with their respective internal procedures and shall enter into force on the first day of the second month following the date on which the Contracting Parties notify each other that the procedures referred to above have been completed.
2. This Agreement is concluded for an indefinite period of time, unless terminated in accordance with paragraph 5.
3. This Agreement may be amended by written agreement of the Contracting Parties. Amendments shall enter into force after the Contracting Parties have notified each other of the completion of their internal procedures necessary for this purpose.
4. Each Contracting Party may suspend in whole or in part this Agreement. The decision on suspension shall be notified to the other Contracting Party not later than 2 months before its entry into force. The Contracting Party that has suspended the application of this Agreement shall immediately inform the other Contracting Party once the reasons for suspension no longer exist.
5. Each Contracting Party may terminate this Agreement by giving written notice to the other Party. This Agreement shall cease to be in force 90 days after the date of such notification.
6. Brazil may suspend or terminate this Agreement only in respect of all the Member States of the Union.
7. The Union may suspend or terminate this Agreement only in respect of all of its Member States.
Done at Brussels, in duplicate each in the Bulgarian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Maltese, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish and Swedish languages, each of these texts being equally authentic.
Съставено в Брюксел на осми ноември две хиляди и десета година.
Hecho en Bruselas, el ocho de noviembre de dos mil diez.
V Bruselu dne osmého listopadu dva tisíce deset.
Udfærdiget i Bruxelles den ottende november to tusind og ti.
Geschehen zu Brüssel am achten November zweitausendzehn.
Kahe tuhande kümnenda aasta novembrikuu kaheksandal päeval Brüsselis.
'Εγινε στις Βρυξέλλες, στις οκτώ Νοεμβρίου δύο χιλιάδες δέκα.
Done at Brussels on the eighth day of November in the year two thousand and ten.
Fait à Bruxelles, le huit novembre deux mille dix.
Fatto a Bruxelles, addì otto novembre duemiladieci.
Briselē, divi tūkstoši desmitā gada astotajā novembrī.
Priimta du tūkstančiai dešimtų metų lapkričio aštuntą dieną Briuselyje.
Kelt Brüsszelben, a kétezer-tizedik év november havának nyolcadik napján.
Magħmul fi Brussell, fit- tmien jum ta' Novembru tas-sena elfejn u għaxra.
Gedaan te Brussel, de achtste november tweeduizend tien.
Sporządzono w Brukseli dnia ósmego listopada roku dwa tysiące dziesiątego.
Feito em Bruxelas, em oito de Novembro de dois mil e dez.
Întocmit la Bruxelles la opt noiembrie două mii zece.
V Bruseli ôsmeho novembra dvetisícdesať.
V Bruslju, dne osmega novembra leta dva tisoč deset.
Tehty Brysselissä kahdeksantena päivänä marraskuuta vuonna kaksituhattakymmenen.
Som skedde i Bryssel den åttonde november tjugohundratio.
За Европейския съюз
Por la Unión Europea
Za Evropskou unii
For Den Europæiske Union
Für die Europäische Union
Euroopa Liidu nimel
Για την Ευρωπαϊκή Ένωση
For the European Union
Pour l'Union européenne
Per l'Unione europea
Eiropas Savienības vārdā –
Europos Sąjungos vardu
Az Európai Unió részéről
Voor de Europese Unie
W imieniu Unii Europejskiej
Pela União Europeia
Pentru Uniunea Europeană
Za Európsku úniu
Za Evropsko unijo
Euroopan unionin puolesta
För Europeiska unionen
+++++ TIFF +++++
За Федеративна република Бразилия
Por la República Federativa de Brasil
Za Brazilskou Federativní republiku
For Den Føderative Republik Brasilien
Für die Föderative Republik Brasilien
Brasiilia Liitvabariigi nimel
Για την Ομοσπονδιακή Δημοκρατία της Βραζιλίας
For the Federative Republic of Brazil
Pour la République fédérative du Brésil
Per la Repubblica federativa del Brasile
Brazīlijas Federatīvās Republikas vārdā –
Brazilijos Federacinės Respublikos vardu
A Brazil Szövetségi Köztársaság részéről
Għar-Repubblika Federattiva tal-Brażil
Voor de Federale Republiek Brazilië
W imieniu Federacyjnej Republiki Brazylii
Pela República Federativa do Brasil
Pentru Republica Federativă a Braziliei
Za Brazílsku federatívnu republiku
Za Federativno republiko Brazilijo
Brasilian liittotasavallan puolesta
För Förbundsrepubliken Brasilien
+++++ TIFF +++++